Please create a free account below, or login by clicking here.
July 26, 2016
We’ve all heard the old saying “dog’s are a mans best friend”, but does this ring true for puppies and kids as well? There are tons of proven physical and mental health benefits to owning a pup as an adult. But how do our 4 legged friends affect mini adults?
1. Better Breathing. Kids who grow up in houses are with dogs are healthier, and are less likely to develop allergies and other breathing related health issues, like asthma.
2. More Active. How can you spend hours watching tv when those big puppy eyes are begging you to come outside to play? Kids who have a dog best friend are way more active.
3. Nurturing Skills. Dogs can teach kids how to be better hoomans! Being kind and nurturing doesn’t always come naturally. The act of caring for a pooch allows kids to learn to care for others.
4. Family Bonding. Dogs help bring parents and children closer together by allowing them to participate in activities that center around their pet, like a family walk.
5. Stress Relief. Dogs are comforting for kids. Cuddling with your pup releases oxytocin (a feel good hormone) in the brain, which lowers anxiety and worry.
6. Responsibility. Having a dog can help kids learn responsibility, making sure the family pup has food, water, and walks can give them their first experience with accountability. While it’s not a good idea to depend on your little one to meet all of your pooches needs, they can definitely share in some of the duties of pet owning.
7. Advanced Knowledge. Owning a dog can help kids better understand Biology. Kids who are raised with pups have an easier time transferring biological information from one species to another. So by explaining to them Spot has a heart, it will be easier for them to understand that they have a heart as well.
Pup owning is clearly the way to go when you want to raise a responsible, caring, and intelligent child. Here at Petland we specialize in helping each family find the right pet for them no matter what their lifestyle is like. We want you to feel safe and informed when doing the seemly monumental task of added a new furry family member to your household! If you think this puppy and kids thing is for you, look at our available puppies! And check out some of our awesome past blog posts for most popular breeds of puppy for families and the most popular dog names of 2015!